The cathedral is situated in Wells in the county of Somerset, England. This is the view along the north side towards the rear.
The present cathedral was begun about 1175 on a new site to the north of the old minster church. Bishop Reginald de Bohun brought the idea of a revolutionary architectural style from France, and Wells was the first English cathedral to be built entirely in this new Gothic style. The first building phase took about eighty years, building from east to west, culminating in the magnificent West Front. About 300 of its original medieval statues remain: a glorious theatrical stone backdrop for feast day processions.
January 29th, 2022
Viewed 43 Times - Last Visitor from Shenzhen, 30 - China on 11/28/2022 at 7:31 AM